A
Brown Paper Bag
Show
and Tell activity? If I’d be asked to bring something for this
fun activity, hmmm… let me think of an object that people commonly expend but
since it is a small thing, it might be brushed off or perhaps overlooked. I’d prefer
to show a brown paper bag.
We all know very well that a
brown paper bag has a single opening that holds customer’s purchases from the
grocery or other shops. All its items should be rightly light, depending on its
size. Of course, it is not consumed for purchases that highly demand for
strength and durability. It is actually different from the kraft paper which
has a high tear resistance.
I’d like to associate, first
of all, a brown paper bag with my beloved father who died of a heart attack. When
he was still alive, working at the Philippine’s Government Service Insurance
System as the boss in the Dividend Section, he would often bring a brown paper
bag home. You know why? It was his habit to place a good sum of money inside
it. It was his monthly salary! “Divine Providence”, we would always say. It was
the source of joy to the family especially to my mother who thankfully received
it and considered it as the symbol of my father’s hard work and love. Moreover,
the brown paper bag’s fondest memories for us, his five children (Swanie,
Danny, Rejay, Noe and I, including our nanny, Ate Coring), were bringing home
yummy chocolates like Baby Ruth which was famous that time. In like manner, it
would be wrapped or simply inserted in the paper bag. That served as father’s
“pasalubong” (take-home food item or a souvenir from an office, from a store,
from a holiday or from a business trip). I also vividly remembered that he
brought home “pancit guisado” (sautéed noodles), likewise it was attractively
put in the paper bag; same story as well with the savoury chicken set inside it.
… Aah, sweet memories… how I love to keep them forever!
Reminiscing my childhood
still, I used to spend my summer vacation at my parents’ province in Calapan, Oriental
Mindoro, Philippines. Furthermore, I used to accompany Lola
Regina, my grandmother to go to the store of Lola Maxima, my great grandmother whose
suitor during her time was the famous Father of Filipino Language, no other
than Manuel L. Quezon. I’m proud to mention that! :)... Looking back, we would
hang around at the store till afternoon before praying the Angelus. Angelus was
usually done at the strike of 6:00 in the evening and participated by the whole
family. Musing over, it was during this time also that we would buy grocery
items such as- coffee, sugar, bread, salt, cocoa sometimes and the
never-should-be missed Lola Inang’s favourite cigarettes' brand, the Leyvana or
just in case there was nothing left on the shelf store, she would choose
Alhambra. All the grocery items would be enclosed in that memorable brown paper
bag.
Years passed… Now I am
already a full-fledged, licensed teacher. I still use the brown paper bag. I
love this valuable stuff because of my cherished past and because I am at
present a recycling, environmental advocate. In addition, inside the classroom,
I made use of this paper bag for my arts lessons, business and party
give-aways. Up to now, I like so much to create something out of it. Hmmm, a
puppet was just one of my beautiful creations out of it… Really precious to be
included in my treasure trove!
Having immigrated in the
land of snow and big bears, I experienced this- One cold day in October, I
found two paper bags and I placed apples for each. In a little while, I was
ready to go. To whom shall I give these two bags? With joy, for people on the streets
begging for spare change… I’d like to believe that a paper bag is designed for “giving”.
Sincere giving makes me happy.
Bringing this up to the
highest sharing level, I’d like to ponder that a brown paper bag represents
emptiness. If there’s emptiness, there’s nothingness… And come to think of it, there’s
humility. By extension, etymologically humility means “from the earth”, “humus”
or soil and therefore grounded, in contrast to pride.
Advancing, from thereon,
once a brown paper bag is used purposely, like when I open it, I construct or
develop a thing on it, I put something in it…First, I feel humbled down… and
there before my eyes, heart and hands- reflectively there’s bounty, plenty of “gifts”
to hold dear. That brown paper bag has indeed transformed into an image of
blessing.
So the next time you clutch
a brown paper bag, please do dwell upon on this idea- that there’s a meaningful form and
substance in it which you would carry, not just a shared-glimpse of my life but
the significance of a small entity that became a great joy and celestial grace,
worthy to be appreciated.
By: Lucy Lombos
November 1, 2015
In loving memory of my late beloved father, Augusto
Garcia Enriquez (+)
also of my loving sister, Susan Enriquez-Billedo (+),
of our faithful nanny, Concordia Colcol (+) and of my
grandparents, Nicolas and Regina/ Victor and Concepcion
(+)
Who were all God's humble people.


No comments:
Post a Comment