My Itsy-Bitsy
Thoughts on “The Climate Change”
Written and painted by: Lucy Lombos
A thought, however small or big, is still a
product of a cognitive activity that freely flows... Here I am, collecting and
organizing my thoughts on the topic- “The Climate Change”.
Climate Change was conceived as one of the serious phenomena that
everyone, from every nook of the world, experienced. Hence, this had caused
much talk. It became a strong and a debatable topic amongst the environmental
realms. Reflectively, let me ask you stirring questions- Honestly, do we all
know a great deal about it?...Or just an itsy-bitsy idea? Or I guess for the
well read peeps it’s a solid chunky knowledge.
I personally noticed, hope you did, too, that our weather now is not the
same just like before. Just to share with you- my last summer vacation in my
parents’ hometown, Puerto Galera, Or. Mindoro in the Philippines, wasn’t
enjoyably breezy and gently inviting anymore but instead it harshly damaged my
golden-bronze skin. I could feel a burning sensation even though I already
applied a sun-block lotion. Geesh, it’s getting hotter! Indeed, it’s beginning
to be just a wee fun. On the other hand, I experienced rainy days on summer
vacation, too. Strange things are happening.
I could name typhoons which devastated our country. One was Milenyo; we
had Ondoy, Sendong, Reming, Yolanda, Lando and a lot more that became
nightmares and torrential killjoys to us in a row. The saddest fact was losing
our people.
The first-ever-deluge that happened two years ago in Puerto Galera with
no mighty typhoon at all, yet only a heavy rainfall was terrible. Whence, my
brother Danny met an accident, breaking his right arm. Why was there a
flashflood in summer? That was a perplexing question. Well, it didn’t just
happen in my beloved hometown. It occurred also in other parts of our
country…of the world at large. Fishes in large numbers and other marine animals
died due to change of climate. Poultry and agri-products were damaged. Moreover,
now in British Columbia, Canada where I presently reside, snow comes not only
in winter time. Sometimes, there’s no snowfall at all. Oh God, it was
formidably alarming!
How many of you have heard of the news that some beautiful islands are
now sinking and disappearing?... Scary! Really terrifying! I remember one islet
in Calapan, Or. Mindoro, Philippines that was gradually eaten by the big waves;
it was so heart-breaking. Sadly, soon it will just pass out of existence and
can’t be located in the map. Where will our fellow Filipinos in that area go?
To nowhere?… How difficult it is to live in evacuation areas and begin anew.
And the list of itsy-bitsy or chunky thoughts can go on…
I don’t want to lose all of those beautiful people, fish, birds, all
animals, places, nature and things that made my childhood and entire life
happy. I firmly think and sense that you also feel the same, don’t you?!
Folks, my friends, we are facing a big problem that will eventually
augment disasters and kill us. Clearly, it’s the dreadful “Climate Change”!
Don’t drift away from the buzz and ignore this. Search the answers. Discover
them before it’s too late. The answers are in our hands. Let’s not
procrastinate. Not tomorrow but today…With prayers, let’s ride on and make progress! There are possibilities.
Lest we fall for a ride and even the Bible said, “Therefore let him that thinks he
stands take heed lest he fall”. – 1 Corinthians 10:12
No comments:
Post a Comment