Baa Bae Walleigh
By Lucy Lombos
November 28, 2017
Bad days made me realize what a good
day is. I appreciated what the experience taught me. One day, I got sick. I lay
in bed. I tried to be positive but I really wondered where my three grown-up
children went. They left me with high body temperature at home. It was already
night. I began to get worried. Time
seemed so long for a sick person.
I
sat on a sofa which was covered with green cloth. I thought my condition was a
twist in the wind. However, my face beamed and a ray of healing shone on me
when my first daughter arrived. She kissed me and gave me a stuffed toy. That
was her way of saying, “How are you, mom?” Also that was something to physically
and emotionally lessen the pain and brighten up my day... Well just a few hours
remained before the dawn of a new day though, still it was so sweet of her to
remember and care for me. Like a child receiving a toy, I smiled
instantaneously and said, “Thank you!”
The
stuffed toy was a white sheep with blue eyes. Not big but really cute! She
ain’t got no wool. Hey, she’s a girl! On her skin marked the numbers 85. It
could mean that her birthday was last August 5. What a coincidence! It was
given to me exactly on August 5, 2017 on the dearly commemorated Feast of Our
Lady of the Divine Mercy. Perfect for me! I loved it.
With
this in mind, I immediately recalled the song Baa Baa Black Sheep. I
supposed that pet naming the stuffed toy with a resemblance into its nursery
song’s title was wonderful. I named it at once as Baa Bae Walleigh. Glad to
come up with a slightly different name!
As
we all know, Baa is the shortened name for a sheep’s sound when it bleats. Next
is Bae which is just my endearment, addressing it as my new baby girl. And its
surname is Walleigh, as in “wala lang” which means “nothing”. It sounded diddly (not deadly), nothing but a
mere surname that rhymed with Bae. On the other hand, “leigh” semantically made
sense. It is not only a name but it also stands for meadow or pasture. I think
it’s excellent for a sheep’s name.
Feeling
delightful, I even sang the nursery song again, “Baa Baa Black Sheep, have you
any wool?...”. I knew it by heart. Not long after, I fancied the song. I got
curious to google it. I discovered the origin of the song. Gosh, I found out
that it had a dark story!
The
nursery rhyme was written in 1731. It originated in England. For two and a half
centuries, it lasted and survived. The lyrics did not change, although
conversely much later it became varied. In view of the original lyrics, many
folks learned it easily because it was composed with a single stanza, having a
trochaic metre. As a matter of fact, like a Mother Goose, I taught it to my
three sweethopes; also to children at Lombosco Academy at the time when I
started to teach Reading to toddlers. The children under my tutelage mastered
it. Let’s review the song once more.
Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir, yes, sir,
Three bags full;
One for the master,
And one for the dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir, yes, sir,
Three bags full;
One for the master,
And one for the dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.
Most
probably, everybody enjoyed the song. Alas! In reality, did anyone think that
there were issues about it? Questions and theories were raised and formulated
to explain the background of the song. It controversially included a complaint
against Medieval English taxes which were levied on the sheep’s wool, with the
understanding and connection that it was about a slave trade centuries ago.
Based
on history, including literature, this
song was written evidently about the sheep, and its value to the economy of
England. It was reported that the wool trade was a huge business since there
was a big demand for it. During those olden times, many people- farmers or
peasants, lords, abbots and even bishops raised sheep and became wealthy.
Returning from the crusades in 1272, the King
of England, Edward I imposed new taxes on the wool trade in order to pay for
his military ventures. It was believed that this heavy wool tax was the cause,
the reason to become the background to the rhyme. “One-third of the price of
each bag, or sack sold, was for the king (the master); one-third to the
monasteries, or church (the dame); and none to the poor shepherd (the little
boy who cries and lives down the lane) who tended, took care and protected the
flock”. (Based on my research.)
After knowing this, can we still take pleasure
singing it? Hmmm...Why not? Given with a new insight, we can still appreciate
it; with an attention and a new focus, let’s refine and bring up the sheep as
the central subject of the song. Together, let’s learn its sacred symbolism
especially on Christmas season. It’s one docile, farm animal that will always
be present into our hearts and minds primarily because it did a special role in
the manger. It took an important part in the humblest yet the greatest
“Nativity” of all times. It was a silent witness in Bethlehem where Jesus, our
Saviour was born, wrapped in swaddling clothes and was laid in the stable for
animals.
Significantly
since childhood, I was taught that a sheep or a lamb is the symbol of Jesus, the
Son of God. In Tagalog, it is “tupa or kordero”, In Spanish, it is called
“cordero”. Hence, we prayerfully say and sometimes sing,
In Filipino-
“Kordero ng Diyos,
Na nag-aalis ng mga kasalanan ng sanlibutan,
Maawa Ka.”
Na nag-aalis ng mga kasalanan ng sanlibutan,
Maawa Ka.”
In English-
“Lamb of God,
Who takes away the sins of the world,
Have mercy on us.”
For
the most part, I learned the good traits associated with the sheep. They are-
innocent, simple, meek, vulnerable, pure, gentle, peaceful, compliant,
submissive, and teachable. As can be seen and all things considered, this year
I would like to share with you my choice of an animal that has got an authentic
and humble character. Obviously, I am referring to the sheep (or a lamb). It
possesses the beautiful traits that every one of us should imitate and try to
practice. I wish I was endowed and blessed with those traits, too.
In
this regard, I would love to give you my Christmas pitch, “Enjoy the Exer-Sayaw
2017 with the general theme,
“Animals are our Friends.
They celebrate Christmas just like us.”
Know
the deeper meaning of the activity and delight in the performance of your
precious children who for awhile are dancing animals or animal lovers. Good
days are here to maximize and not to waste. Highly value your moment with your
family in our once-in-a-year show. Forget for now your work, business, taxes, bills,
politics, and other worries or cares. Share the fun with Lombosco Academy’s
Friends. Have a “Baa Bae Walleigh”
sort of experience, and other representations. I’m so certain that you’ll have
fun on December 16, 2017 at the Somascan’s Place, Katarungan Village, at 1:00
to 5:00 pm. Merry Christmas to all and Happy 2018!”

No comments:
Post a Comment